[MUD-Dev] Immersiveness - good or bad?

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 8 09:26:55 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 11:43 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Logical MUD Areas

> Adam Martin writes:

looking at my peers at Oxford/Cambridge here in the UK, it seems to me
that many of the most prolific, most interesting people tend to be
that focussed on everything they do: it's a major part of how they
manage to be the best.  This may not generalize, but please don't
write off immersion that easily.  It does not seem to be considered a
bad thing in other fields, so why should it be bad in computer games?

Learning the ability to cope even when you "lose track of time" and
are so involved in something as to forget to eat, sleep etc, seems
here to be a skill learnt in the process of growing up. There is of
course also the stereotype of the academic who experiences such
immersion only in his field of study, and even if said field has no
profound effect on the world, other people generally seem to be of the
opinion that as long as they are happy in what they do, then that is
what matters most.

As a final example, most people I know get that absorbed in reading a
good book, and everyone seems to consider this a Good Thing. An
English literature teacher of mine once told how he was hospitalised
with sunstroke after starting reading a book in the height of summer,
and being so absorbed he didnt move all day, and didnt notice anything
wrong until he stood up, and promptly fainted.

Adam M