[MUD-Dev] I Want to Forge Swords. [Another letter to game

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 10:13:56 CEST 2001

> From: "Batir" <batir at frontiernet.net>

> Most games have many paths for those who want to fight, but only a
> couple for those who want to build.  In UO you have 5 combat skills
> that deal direct damage, and a host of supporting skills that aid
> those main skills.  Then, you have the single skill of
> blacksmithing, and the single skill of carpentry, and the single
> skill of fletching, and so on.  No skills to aid these skills?  No
> choices as far as career progression, other then following the
> linear path. That is what he and I complain about.

I cringed when i read this.  Not because I don't like trade skills,
but because I do.  If there were skills to aid tailoring, and you were
required to have those skills along with your "main" trade skill, it
separates you from your friends who are non-crafters.  If I have to
have sheep-shearing, spinning, weaving, dying, knitting, tanning,
curing, and sewing as skills, in order to do what I want to do, it's
going to separate me from my tanky-meat-shield partner who wants me to
come with him to kill stuff, which is going to make neither of us very
happy.

So what happens (and what did happen) was that I made a Tailor
Character On The Same Server.  She wasn't really a mule, per se, but
she was an extension of the Main character that I wouldn't have had if
I didn't have to in order to do what I wanted to do.

I guess it is the Percentage of skills available, to which I think
should be necessary to have a craft skill.  If there were 50 "skill
slots," and you had to have 5 skills to be a pretty good tailor but
you had to have 20 to be a pretty good adventurer, that'd be ok.  But
if you had to have 25 skills to be a pretty good tailor, and only had
25 spots left for adventurer skills, thereby making you a crappy
adventurer, that would not be okay.

Having a craft skill shouldn't cripple me to the point that it
separates me from a good majority of the rest of the world (and my
friends who go there).

Madrona Tree.