[MUD-Dev] Logical MUD Areas

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Tue May 8 12:12:49 CEST 2001

John Buehler wrote:

> I mentioned elsewhere that I believe that we are all responsible for
> our interactions with children.  If a child is paying attention to
> what I'm doing, I should be mindful of my actions.  If I am writing
> a book that children will read, I should be mindful of my words.
> And so on.

Let me just clarify a little here, because in a sense I agree with
you.  If I'm writing a book that's INTENDED for children, I should be
mindful of my words.

But I think it's rather silly to say that if I'm a Clive Barker or a
Stephen King writing a new horror novel that I should be mindful of my
words because a child might read it.

I am not interested in making games for children.  I'm interested in
making games for adults.  And yes, children might play them.  Sorry,
but that's a fact of life.  But to say that I should limit the sorts
of things I allow in the game just because some parent is not
parenting is patently silly.

It sounds to me like you're saying that ALL games should be mindful of
their actions because children might (and in reality probably will)
play them, and that would be the point where I vehemently disagree. :)