[MUD-Dev] Logical MUD Areas

Koster Koster
Wed May 9 07:51:02 CEST 2001

But this exact thing DOES happen with just text. Have you never had
the experience of something sudden and surprising on a mud resulting
in an adrenalin rush, a mental freeze-up, joy, sadness, or anger?
Those are physiological reactions triggered by our
perceptions. Perhaps they would go away with immersion goes away, but
they are nonetheless real. I've certainly many times had the
experience of just forgetting I could log off (during an argument, for
example).

There's that old adage, "perception is reality." In the case of muds,
it does seem to me to be true--and not just from a community
management standpoint. Heck, even non-interactive media succeed at
arousing physical sensations (and not just pr0n either).

I don't mean to minimize the impact of physical rape, but I've heard
enough people (yes, even those who have suffered real life abuse of
one sort or another) make the direct comparison that I'd very much
hesitate to dismiss it with "you can always just turn it off."

-Raph