[MUD-Dev] [OT] Taking things too far.

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Mon May 14 14:49:44 CEST 2001

Scott Stuart wrote:

> I'm one of the administrators of a hard-core MUD, and we've
> currently got a serious situation we're not sure how to handle.

> We recently had a player report that he received an anonymous death
> threat by email from another player. The threat was regarding game
> issues, yet not only the character's life was threatened, but also
> the player's life (as well as his car, house and computer). The
> sender of the threat found this person's email address (which isn't
> published anywhere in the game) and sent an anonymous email, taking
> steps to hide his/her identity.

You can't do much, but then you must not do nothing.  First, get
verifiable information (without taking sides) let each person know
individually that you are taking this very seriously and that you
cannot legally ignore this action. Take a tough line without taking
sides.

Also write a chronology so that it is ready.  And verify your contact
information.  Then do leave the two alone and follow your usual game
rules.

frank