[MUD-Dev] Locations vs Social Spaces (was: I Want to Forge Sw ords)

Andrew Barratt Andrew at hypac.co.uk
Mon May 21 14:49:57 CEST 2001

Thank you for the link, I studied it this morning. They certainly
describe it as you said but as an actual player of the game after
reading that the server is designed for 3000 players concurrently
(using server as a term for each game world) it certainly surprises me
that they have designed for 3000 to be online but less than 40 in one
place at a time. Sadly I was a victim of a portal storming which
dumped me next to a monster my character was roughly 40 levels away
from being able to fight at the weekend so any comments I could make
about the design decision wouldnt be printable.

I do have to ask the question though, if you were to design something
that required a 'portal storm' technique could you not put the players
in a predefined location near to the town rather than randomly
anywhere nearby which could be very dangerous as I mentioned earlier?
In AC virtually everytown has a meeting hall, a building on the map
that has a portal inside to a seperate area where players can
interact, sadly they dont get used much and possibly the developers
thought they would be used instead of standing around town centres but
why not portal storm players to those?