[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Mon May 21 15:55:41 CEST 2001

asnellin at san.rr.com wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2001, Bruce wrote:

>> Grab a book on POSIX threads, or some similarly good reference.
>> You can play various games to mitigate troubles resulting from the
>> stack size (like specifying your own stacks, setting stack size,
>> etc).

> Yeah, I've been following the discussions on this for a few months
> now. Can you recommend a particular book? I have the Stevens book on
> Unix Network Programming, but it does not go into great detail on
> POSIX threads.

There is the O'Reilly book:

I have the book by Butenhof:

The Butenhof book wasn't that bad.  It taught me what I needed to know
at that time.

I've also taken a peek at the GNU libc threads implementation when
I've needed to.

But, for some views on why threading is bad:

  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ThreadsConsideredHarmful

And some different approaches to using concurrency:

  http://www.erights.org/elib/concurrency/index.html
  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?OrganicThreads
  http://www.erlang.org/download/erlang-book-part1.pdf

Good luck!