[MUD-Dev] business models

Martin Burke martin at hobgoblin.net
Tue May 22 22:34:17 CEST 2001

On Wednesday 23 May 2001 00:53, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2001, Christopher Allen wrote:

>> In my opinion it is the multiple characters, the private hunting
>> grounds, and access to ticket/fee-based quests and merchant events,
>> that are the most important. As for the latter, this includes
>> weddings (starting at $200 and giving you the 25 "wedding" verbs)
>> and a number of $50 quests that have items that everyone has to
>> have. It is also possible that the multiple type-ahead lines may
>> also critical in advanced combat or PvP, but we have not verified
>> that.

> I'd love to hear more about these $200 weddings and the 25 "wedding"
> verbs, and how it all works. I'm sure others would too.  >

My knowledge is of the Dragonrealms side, which might be different
from the Gemstone side, however: Weddings get you 20 scripted items
(designed by the couple with GM assistance), 2 of which are wedding
rings that have special verbs associated with them.  When you do
things like turn, rub, point to, or any number of other actions to
your ring, others see a variety of messages having to do with your
love for your mate or some such sappiness :)

You get a special menu as well as decorations, etc and a number of GMs
running around entertaining you and your guests.  There's also a dance
floor with special dancing verbs active on it.  They actually do a
very good job of making it 'your special day'.

>> BTW, the private room is quite cheesy -- you can only have 1 guest
>> in it, and has lots of limitations.

> Can you buy upgrades to your private room?

In DR there's no guest limit, and there are many options for
furnishing your house, including different windows/doors/floors/walls,
fishtanks, beds you can jump on, places to hang or display your
favorite treasures, etc.  You can also have a pet in there.  All in
all another great value, and an very successful draw of money out of
the game, since all home-related items cost a lot of in-game coin.

Martin