[MUD-Dev] [News] NCSoft + Richard Garriott

Jake Song jake at ncinteractive.com
Tue May 22 22:39:26 CEST 2001

>>> "[NCSoft's] Lineage now has more subscribers than Ultima Online,
>>> Everquest(tm) and Asheron's Call combined."

> Many of Lineage's users access the game via internet cafe's, which
> pay for the game while the users do not, directly.  The number of
> subscribers is a guess based on how many accounts have been used in
> some undisclosed period of time and doesn't equate at all to the
> number of subscribers playing EQ, AC or EQ: where we know X people
> are paying $10/month each, so that's X subscribers.

I think there are people who pay multiple accounts for EQ(or UO or
AC).  So which one is number of subscibers? Number of people or number
of accounts?

> Of course, I'm not saying that Lineage is small.  I'm just saying
> that I've heard "Lineage is bigger than AC, EQ and UO combined"
> about 900 times now, and I don't believe that's quite correct.  Not
> with only 180k concurrent users.  That seems to be a much more
> accurate assessment of a game's "size" than "number of subscribers"
> for a game that doesn't have 75% of its users actually, you know,
> subscribe.

subscribe   v.intr. [from dictionary.com]

  1. To contract to receive and pay for a certain number of issues of
  a publication, for tickets to a series of events or performances, or
  for a utility service, for example.

I think the current users playing Lineage at Game Rooms completely
matches the definition of subscribe(r).

Jake

<EdNote: There's also a dictionary service (driven by dictd) at
http://www.kanga.nu/dict/.  It covers a fairly wide range of languages
encluding Websters, WordNet, FOLDOC, JargonFile, etc.  See
http://www.dict.org/ to set up your own>