[MUD-Dev] business models

Koster Koster
Wed May 23 16:12:31 CEST 2001

Very true. Though, tie ratio (the number we're talking about here) is
usually measured per day in my experience. Probably because it's used
to estimate bandwidth cost, among other things.

> (which is where I think the EQ/AC schemes of non localised servers
> vs UO's time-zoned servers is better - from a business PoV, that is)

There's a lot of other factors, though, and they can all affect your
bottom line. Co-located servers also increases customer service cost
and makes it harder to do stuff like hardware upgrades, and routine
maintenance. Not having co-located servers means single point of
failure for connectivity (cf what bit EQ during initial
launch). Players not geographically nearby tend to pick a given server
anyway (eg, in UO prior to launch of Korean shards or Japanese shards,
there were servers clearly identifiable as "the Japanese shard" among
the shards located in the US). No co-located servers curtails your
ability to target specific content or gameplay towards specific
audiences. And so on... lots of tradeoffs going both ways.

As a side note--I was handed the June 2001 issue of Login magazine
(from Japan) while at E3, and UO: Third Dawn is currently the #2
bestseller there.  I'd argue that local servers, customer support, and
a localized client and server are a big part of why.

-Raph