[MUD-Dev] JOB: How to get into Game Design / Game content

SavantKnowsAll at cs.com SavantKnowsAll at cs.com
Sun May 27 23:35:30 CEST 2001

In a message dated 5/24/01 11:42:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
taylor at taylor.org writes:

> Any advice on how to get my foot in the door? Are there any skills
> that I should be trying to get a crash course in? Any advice for a
> wannabe game creator?

The answer to this question is not as easy as it may seem, and not as
complicated as you may think (don'tcha love statements like that?).
Here are a few things to keep in mind when getting started (and mind
you, this is coming from someone who just got started recently).

Everyone's got an opinion.  The important part is to never get
discouraged.  Listen to each opinion offered and try to understand
where the person is coming from and what sorts of personal experiences
he is speaking from, but never let yourself get discouraged.

Send a resume out even if you think you don't have a snowball's
chance.

Talk about gaming and game design every opportunity you get.  Get your
voice heard.  Write.  Write.  Write.

Pick up books, read interviews, go to conventions and just talk to
people.  Again, never get discouraged.

You will eventually get lucky and find your perfect position, or foot
in the door.  Just keep trying.

As long as you have a passion, you will find a way.  Sleep, dream, and
breathe gaming.  If it's your true calling, you will find your in.

Daniel "Savant" Manachi