[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

Fred Clift fred at clift.org
Tue Apr 2 13:58:12 CEST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> you see the transaction happen, and even then how can you be sure
> it's not just some guy giving his friend 1000 gold? Even if you
> know it's me, how do you know I'm not just giving someone 1000
> gold and wasn't paid for it? What if I tell Biff to give the buyer
> 432 gold and then I give the buyer 568 gold? What if I put 1000
> gold in a sack and give someone the sack? I mean, eventually, I'm
> going to figure out how to give someone 1000 gold without you
> seeing it happen.

> You CAN'T enforce this on the server. You CAN'T enforce this off
> the server.

So, just because some transactions are hard or impossible to
monitor, we shouldn't monitor any?  In the real world, just because
some criminals are very sneaky, we shouldn't bother having laws?  Or
rather, we shouldn't prosecute the ones we do catch because of the
others who got away with it?

--
Fred Clift - fred at clift.org -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.