[MUD-Dev] Death of a game addict

Richard Woolcock KaVir at t-online.de
Thu Apr 4 22:14:41 CEST 2002

On Wednesday, May 29, 2002 11:09 AM, ghovs wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 April 2002 01:33, Mike Tresca wrote:

>> I could easily see a minimum age requirement due to the likely
>> contact with adults and adult material for games.  But a warning
>> that doing something to excess is bad for your health?
>> Puhleeeaze!

> Ah, well...

>   'The management does not accept liability in case of injury due
>   to improper use of this seat.' -- infant seat in a restaurant

>   'Warning! Hot liquid.' -- coffee cup

>   'Excessive play may be hazardous to mentally unstable persons.'
>   -- MMORPG?

> The last one doesn't seem to have any trouble fitting in.

My personal favourite (which really made me laugh when I saw it) is:

     'This product contains nuts' -- a packet of salted peanuts

Let's face is, it's not about warnings, and it's not about informing
the public of a risk.  It's about a compromise between the people
who make a product and the people who want something to blame for
the problems in their lives and/or a some easy
cash^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H "compensation".  No matter how many warnings
you slap on your product, there will always be someone who does
something so mind-bogglingly stupid that no sane person could have
conceived of it, let alone thought to warn against it - and muds are
no exception to this rule.

In fact, this brings to mind a favourite quote of mine:

     "Programming today is a race between software engineers
     striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and
     the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.  So
     far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook.

As Marc Bowden says, if you want to run a mud you've got to accept
the risks associated with it.

KaVir.