[MUD-Dev] Reality check ...(long) [was Re: Black Snow Revisited]

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Apr 4 17:50:08 CEST 2002

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, John Buehler wrote:

> What is a virtual sword?

Quite right. It's a collection of data, not a sword. It's only a
sword in the context of the game, which, as Raph mentioned, is not
relevant because at this point, the law rightfully doesn't recognize
things as happening within the context of the game fiction.

> Consider if game items and game characteristics were swapped.  You
> can't give away your items, but you can give away your stats.
> Does this make stats a real world item?  You can't see them.  But
> you can trade them.  You can use them.  But you can't destroy
> them.  Just because a virtual sword walks, talks and acts like a
> real sword doesn't make it a real sword.  I believe that THAT is
> what the law will eventually discover.

And a virtual sword DOESN'T walk, talk, or act like a real sword to
begin with! Try cutting someone's head off with a virtual sword.

--matt