[MUD-Dev] [DGN] [NEWBIE] Suggestions on (OO) Server Design.

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Tue Apr 9 11:53:41 CEST 2002

From: "Sean Middleditch" <elanthis at awesomeplay.com>
> On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 14:08, Kwon Ekstrom wrote:

>> I haven't noticed any speed degredation, and my end code is very
>> simple to deal with.

> I wouldn't think you would notice it.  You'd have to rewrite it
> entirely in non OO form, then benchmark it.  Simply, tho,
> optimizing OO code is very hard, becuase the language/compiler
> hides so many of the details, and adds lots of unneccessary
> overhead in places where it isn't necessary (but the overheard is
> necessary in other places, and compilers aren't smart enough to
> tell which is which).

> The reason having very small, very fast code is useful with MUD
> engines is that a lot of MUD hosts and other providors don't give
> you very many resources to work with.

I've done alot of testing for a variety of areas, and if there is
any degredation it's only a handful of milliseconds per thousand
iterations.  The OOP only becomes an issue when you constantly
retype an object.  Most functions don't require you to type an
object many times.  In more complex areas, that might become an
issue.

There are also a variety of ways I use my OOP model to shortcut what
I'd have to do in a procedural level.  There's probably alot of
speed advantages I would get if I used c++ instead of java, but
there are several benefits to using java.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom