[MUD-Dev] Dilemmas in a (game) designer's life ?

Shane Gough goughsw at bigpond.com
Wed Apr 17 19:36:57 CEST 2002

Marc Demesel emitted ...

> Is this recognizable to anyone?

Definitely. I am currently on my fifth revision of a MUD server (3
languages used so far in various incarnations) but have yet to get a
product out the door. I seem to always get to the 60% mark and then
realise that a 'few minor changes' in the design would allow so many
more options in the future. That or real-life interrupts for a few
months and I have to leave the project - when I get back to it I
have a tonne of new ideas.

I do MUD design for fun after hours - so it's not a *great* loss,
but it is still *very* frustrating.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person feeling this way.

> I most be convinced of the goodness of both behaviours, pushing
> myself to have something concrete but at the same time looking for
> new information all the time and not setting a deadline yet but
> it's a conflict. They fight against eachother all the time!

That's very true. My most recent reincarnation is based on
massive-multiplayerness (due to the fact the last major work project
was centered around a scalable OO database and I wanted to prove or
disprove some of my theories of how that could be improved) and
simplified UI (HTTP tunneling for those behind corporate firewalls
and a Java Applet as a client for slight more graphical
interaction). It seems that every idea I want to experiment with
winds up in my MUD design - which doesn't really help a release
schedule.

Regards,
Shane