[MUD-Dev] The quandary of mob combat in MUDs

Peter Tyson ptyson at datamonitor.com
Mon Apr 29 09:39:24 CEST 2002

>From: Sean Kelly [mailto:sean at ffwd.cx]
>> From: "Peter Tyson" <ptyson at datamonitor.com>

>> The most dangerous fights are the most enjoyable, but they are
>> the least likely to help you advance, due to the penalty for
>> dying. Therefore, through design, the majority of MUDs encourage
>> you to tackle the easiest monsters (that still provide a reward)
>> and thus have you doing boring, repetitive tasks over and over.

> Not strictly true.  Depending on level, there is generally a mob
> that provides an optimal reward vs. investment, depending on
> player class.  This may not neccessarily be the easiest monster.

The end result is that through game design players are encouraged to
fight the less-fun monsters or they face punishment via death. I
find this frustrating because surely gaming is as much about
maximising your fun as anything.

In a single player game you can always save before trying something
very tricky, reducing the consequences of trying something hard (and
fun!). In a MUD you don't get that option so must constantly shy
away from the really interesting fights.

If you're playing in a group this can be avoided because group
dynamics are inherently fairly interesting. Only problem is groups,
no matter how you cut it, require time. For many, that's not a
problem, for a notable number like myself we're happy if we can get
an hour solid on a game, let alone 3 or 4 hours needed to truly take
advantage of a good group..

So are there any ways of making mob combat more fun, without
directly equating fun with risk?

Peter