[MUD-Dev] Blacksnow revisted

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Apr 29 10:25:14 CEST 2002

From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Patrick Black wrote:

>> The problem I see with RL sales is that there is not investment
>> in developing the character.  Characters end up with gear simply
>> because they happen to have extra dollars to spend.

> Similarly, you can say, "The problem I see with RL time being a
> factor is that there is not investment in developing the
> character. Characters end up with gear simply because they happen
> to have extra hours to play."

> One is an "investment" in time, one is an "investment" in money.

Whilst I take your point, I don't think your extrapolations are
accurate.

>> level.  The game then becomes more and more unplayable for those
>> who either cannot or will not purchase items for RL currency.

> "The game then becomes more and more unplayable for those who
> either cannot or will not spend 16 hours a day playing it."

Ah, but when you have a combination of someone with 16 hours to
play, and money, then you have people leagues ahead if its an item
centric game. Of course, if we go back to first principles, then if
a game allows advancement, someone has to be at the bottom of the
ladder. Its just that no one wants to be at the bottom, and a lot of
gamers don't have high incomes so resent the application of money to
advancement.

Personally, I'm just not interested in spending money on a database
entry.  At least I'm not willing to spend as much as other people
seem to be. I'd probably purchase the odd Everquest item if they
cost 100 USD, not 400 USD.

>> Buying items for RL money also does very little if anything to
>> foster any sort of community in the game.  For many games, at
>> least for the one I work for, the sense of community is what
>> keeps many players coming back.

> "Buying items with time also does very little if anything to
> foster any sort of community in the game."

Now thats a real stretch. If people are in game for longer, there a
greater likelyhood that they will interacting with other players and
creating community.

Dan