[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Dec 11 18:17:00 CET 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Wes Connell wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> From my point of view, Battle.net is poorly designed in terms of
>> community and communication features. Nearly every game with an
>> online lobby like this is poorly done too, from Age of Mythology
>> to MechAssault. The games themselves are fine (well, I don't
>> think much of WCIII multi-player), but the lobby areas lack
>> thought.

> While Battle.net is kinda lame UI wise, I think the type of game
> (RTS) has a lot to do with the level of community
> interaction. What are the three commonly used phrases in an RTS
> online game?

> I betcha they are: 1) RUSH RUSH RUSH 2) I need a <blank> defense
> 3) gg

Chuckle, #1 is why I am not impressed by WCIII, since that appears
to be the only winning strategy, but that's not really what I'm
talking about. It's simple things that anyone who has played a
decent MUD should know. Auto-capitalizing first letter of sentences
in most circumstances for instance. Auto-punctuation. The inability
to direct a 'say' at another player in the lobby you're in (ie if
you want to direct something you say to a particular person, but
have the rest of the room hear it. Like: "Bob says to Matt, 'You are
one sexy bastard.'") That kind of thing. It's mind-boggling to me,
as those are standard in quality communication environments (good
text MUDs for instance), and they are technically simple to
implement. I'm left to conclude they either don't care, or are
inexperienced.

--matt