[MUD-Dev] Total Annilation of Downtime

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Wed Dec 11 18:32:57 CET 2002

On 12/11/02 1:10 PM, Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Amanda Walker wrote:

>> [AC2] Much more MUD-like than AC1, in my experience, though I'll
>> admit my MUD experience (and preference) is very
>> socializer/explorer centric.

> I'm curious what you mean by MUD-like? (I'm assuming you're
> referring to text MUDs). There isn't much that is consistent
> across text MUDs, aside from the fact that they're text. There's a
> lot of variety in text MUD gameplay.

Lots of text, lots of interaction with other players.  More emphasis
on socializing/exploring than on combat/charts/stats.  That is, I
find it more like wandering around in a MUD than like playing a
pencil & paper RPG.

AC1 struck me as a very gifted implementation of a complex RPG (my
reference point being Rolemaster from Iron Crown).  AC2 strikes me
as a MUD which happens to have some RPG features (my reference point
for MUDs being LambdaMOO and other such socializing/tinkering MUDs,
not MUDs used as RPG platforms).

Now, this is just an initial impression, and may change based on how
the game develops, but a bunch of things combine to produce this
impression.  For example, the simplified resource management (no
burden calculations, no need to go buy or make arrows & such, direct
conversion of loot into gold, etc.), the much lusher attention to
the settings and environment (I've spent some very pleasant time
sightseeing without a mob in sight), background music and player
music, lack of NPCs, etc.

Amanda Walker