[MUD-Dev] Starting out.

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Thu Jan 10 19:48:59 CET 2002

Joel Palmtag wrote on Tuesday, January 08 2002, 15:31:07:

> (some starters, if you've got other's, please respond with those
> as well.)  How to take care of Marathon Coding, what kind of foods
> to eat (it's really hard to stay alert if all you've been eating
> are snack foods for 18 hours), what kind of versioning to use.

As far as Marathon Coding is concerned: don't. After a certain
number of hours one's code quality deteriorates far too much to make
it worthwile.

Personally I can get more done when I deliberately take the time to
cook and eat real food, exercise, sleep, goof off with friends -
that kind of things. I may have less time left for coding, but I am
much more productive during that time, and more importantly I'm far
less prone to experience burnout.

Foodwise I (try to) eat normal healthy light food at normal
times. Munchies while programming I usually battle with lots of diet
Code and mint tea :-)

The decision whether to make it part- or fulltime depends on your
circumstances. Important is the will and discipline to stick to your
project for long time, and get a decent amount of work done every
week. If that is then five hours per week or 40 is a minor detail.

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
PGP Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/pgp-lars.asc