[MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jan 11 19:47:32 CET 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Michael Tresca wrote:

> Role-players are not a unique, insular group of sorry sacks.  They
> are an advanced level of gamer. That means they're on the same
> continuum of other gamers.

> My theory is that as gamers mature, they seek richer content in
> their games.  So the younger set enjoys (and indeed, sees nothing
> wrong with) playing Buttcheex the naked elven maiden.  It's funny.
> It's goofy.  It's whatever.  To the immature gamer, he's not
> particularly attached to the image he's choosing to represent
> himself with.  He doesn't have a vested interest, a stake in the
> game, so to speak.  He treats his female elf like he treats
> playing the Valkyrie in Gauntlet (dating myself, I know).

Gotta disagree with this here. Most gamers, regardless of how long
they have played, are not interested in roleplaying. Kasparov is a
gamer, and does not roleplay to my knowledge, yet I'd call him quite
a mature gamer.

Roleplaying is just one way to enjoy games. I think Raph is right in
saying you're letting a bias show through by claiming that
roleplaying is somehow a superior way to enjoy a game.

--matt