[MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 12 23:12:30 CET 2002

Dave Rickey wrote:

> Surprisingly few.  Oh, some do move en-masse, but that's the
> interesting thing, they either move en masse, or they don't move
> at all.  In general, the whole social group gets together and
> reached a consensus on what to do next, leave or stay.

I watched what happened to my EQ Social Group with somewhat
detatched interest, to see if what you all said would happen would
happen to them too.

Interestingly, a little over half of the group moved to DAOC, with
the others having various shades of disinterest and anti-pk
(regardless of whether or not they are required to participate -- a
few are so rabidly anti-pk that they will not even entertain the
notion of dangling their virtual toe into a game that offers PVP
combat).  Of the half that moved to DAOC, about half of those went
to Hibernia, and half went to Albion.  Net result: our once fairly
cohesive group scattered to the four winds.

It seems to be a fairly common occurance, from the players I've
talked to.  DAOC seems to be a hard game for social groups to move
to, with its three very separate options.  Some have to choose to
play what/where they like, or be with who they like.  Hard choices.

So, perhaps DAOC is changing - at least somewhat - the "social
groups stay together" theory.

MT.