[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Jeremy Noetzelman jjn at kriln.com
Sun Jan 13 00:46:25 CET 2002

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Marc Hernandez wrote:

> If you do not mind spending a measily $100USD on your system, the
> Tribes 2 engine is available from GarageGames.com.  This seems
> like it would be a better fit.

If you're looking for something for a commercial project (or one you
make any money on at all) Torque (the Tribes 2 engine that's
licensed by GG) is somewhat better suited.  I say somewhat, because
the license is a bit unsuitable for many MUD type applications.

As long as the Quake [II] engines remain GPL'd, they are quite
unusable for any graphical MUD project that values the integrity of
play.  As the terms of the GPL force full client source disclosure,
your players can easily figure out how to spoof the client.  This
may or may not be something that is a 'killer' so to speak, but I
certainly wouldn't use any GPL'd engine for anything I care about,
commercial or not.  The LGPL is far more suitable for that (Without
going into any licensing debates).