[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Sun Jan 13 01:21:24 CET 2002

From: "Vincent Archer" <archer at frmug.org>
> According to Frank Crowell:

>> On the surface the project doesn't seem too bad.  The initial set
>> up is a little too much work so I am not likely to see what it
>> looks like tonight.

> As an ex-Nevrax, I can attest to the complexity of the stuff. The
> worst part is probably the number of external libraries the engine
> assumes you already have installed before you attempt the 1h
> compile :)

And as someone who has spent considerable time with newbie admins
this last couple of weeks, it was an interesting experience for me
in trying to reduce the complexity in another project to something
the newbies could handle.  Some of the things that I assume anyone
that has a computer knows just is not the case.  I rattle off things
like "ping blahblah and telnet localhost 5555 " and the poor user
asks "what is telnet?".

In my mind I go "what is telnet????", but in my words I say
something like "open up a dos box".  These people are not dumb and
once I get them past their mental blocks they can quickly pick up
the rest.

A couple of years ago I got a link to the Microsoft project in
virtual worlds and now I can finally say it -- gads it was complex.
I mean really really complex.  I never did figure out where my
avatar admin was.  It was also a combination of C++, vbscript, and
html.  The core system was not too bad, but if you wanted to add a
demo package, you have to really get things right.

>  (ok, this is a slight exxageration, but the fact remains that
>  this is chiefly an in-house project rather than a cooperative
>  distributed effort like Worldforge, and this gives significant
>  differences in the architecture and presentation of the
>  project. But at least, you can play with penguins fighting gnus
>  on an icefield with snowballs)

The snowball fight is an incentive.

frank