[MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Jan 13 03:01:20 CET 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 18:32:06 -0500
Dave Rickey <daver at mythicentertainment.com> wrote:

>   1) We just opened our 3rd "Roleplay Server", the essential
> difference is a prohibition on OOC names and public chat enforced
> by CSR's.  Over 30k of our players play on "RP" designated servers
> as their primary characters, and we opened the third because the
> other two were consistently #1 and #2 on the server count.  This
> does beg the question of how you define RP.

What are the predominantly observed forms of RP (any definition)
seen on those servers; in terms of numbers of players, percentage of
player time engaged in activity, and stated player
admiration/desirability of activity?

Are the RP servers popular because they contain significant levels
of RP (of some definition) or are they popular due to some other
indirect/unrelated quality (eg lower PK/griefer rates) which isn't
reflected in actual discernible RP activity?

--
J C Lawrence