[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Sun Jan 13 04:16:53 CET 2002

From: "Marc Hernandez" <marc at ias.jb.com>
> Frank Crowell wrote:

>> Right now QII is the closest thing to a freely available, heavily
>> documented, community supported MM-whatevertherestofthisis core
>> candidate.  The closest one on the engine side, is Crystalspace.

> If you do not mind spending a measily $100USD on your system, the
> Tribes 2 engine is available from GarageGames.com.  This seems
> like it would be a better fit.

There is not doubt that Tribes 2 has some nice thing going for it
and if were really that simple to develop virtual worlds with the
development kit, I might add it to the list.

But this is another one where you have to read the fine print.
First the $100 is per programmer -- but still cheap when you
consider the license fees from the other engines.  I can't comment
on the engine or network capabilities because I have never touched
T2.  But I can comment on their license which is completely
unsuitable for virtual worlds:

  1. Publishing the game will cost you royalities.

  2. Game must be distributed through GarageGames

  3. Cannot use the game or parts to create products for competing
  game companies and the list includes even Microsoft, Yahoo, and
  AOL

  4. Must deliver all game to GarageGames (it's not even an offer of
  first refusal)

  5. You grant to GarageGames all electronic distribution rights for
  five years -- you really have to be desperate to give up all
  electronic distribution rights.

There are a couple of lines about subscription based games an valid
non profit organizations.  The bottom line to that is you need a
lawyer to work out the agreement if you fall in that category
because you have to get a separate agreement.

Also if you read the agreement in its entirety you will see its a
one-side agreement.  That means you have to get a lawyer to hammer
out the details and make sure it is a more balanced agreement.

Where i may be worth it -- although I doubt it would happen -- is
for a nonprofit to get an agreement for a separate low-cost or zero
cost game system/world/environment.  That way you can save the need
for having 100 or 1000 lawyers asking the same questions.  But
unless something like that happens, T2 is dead as far as general
vworld development for the low-end producers.

frank