[MUD-Dev] Commercial web based MUDs

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Jan 14 16:40:24 CET 2002

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Azeraab wrote:

> Has anyone worked on such a project?  If so are you turning a
> profit?  Anyone have any insight on the effectiveness of the
> common solutions?  (Requests for donations, giving premium
> services to those who donate, charging a small monthly fee, etc).

We don't call them donations, but both Achaea and Aetolia are free
to play as long as you want unless you buy choose to buy things. It
works extremely well. See the archives. We estimate we make 2-4x
more per customer than the graphical MUDs do.

Our business model factors significantly in player psychology. For
instance, yesterday I got an e-mail from a player saying how she
left a pay-for-play game to come to Achaea, but that she ended up
spending an order of magnitude more in Achaea than she would have in
a pay-for-play game. She related how much happier she was paying us
the vastly larger amount because we weren't forcing her to in order
to play.

--matt