[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Tue Jan 15 02:47:12 CET 2002

From: "Jeremy Noetzelman" <jjn at kriln.com>\

> Another place you can effectively use it is as a tech demo
> platform to attract investors/publishers.  GG effectively doesn't
> care what you do with whatever you make as long as you a) have a
> license for each developer, and b) don't charge for it.  When you
> start charging, then you start hitting the meat of the contract.

I would like to see how much someone could do with the SDK.  If the
whole engine, server, client is available, then you are right it
would make an interesting demo/proto kind of thing.  It would be
easier to start off with something like this rather than going
through scratch.  Some people have done that with Unreal because
Unreal provides the source to practically everything but the
underlying network engine and some primitives.

Of course I don't know how easy it would be to do real-time
cutscenes, because the cutscenes could also help with the demo.

I actually bought Tribes 2.  Crashed it right away after my first
attempt.  Second time through I finally got the hang of the
controls.  Ran around for a while checking how the terrain felt.  I
didn't want any bots cause I would have lasted about 1 second into
the game. So it was a fairly lonely world.

I like the outdoors for the little that I saw and the nicely lite
interiors.  I don't mind dungeon crawling, but I also like to see
things. A few NPCs like Half-Life would have been nice.  Maybe they
don't have NPCs and its just a PVP environment.

But then the question is why T2 over HL or Unreal or Quake 3?
Monolith is in there somewhere too i guess.

At this point someone wakes up and ask "why is frank going on and on
about FPS; doesn't he know this is a mud list and talking about
MMORPG is more on topic?"

Ok.  Here is what you can do for 3D mud development with any
commerical MMORPG: --