[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Thu Jan 17 23:45:08 CET 2002

From: "Nicholas E. Walker" <new at gnu.org>

> I am a free software bigot.  I am also a good software bigot.  If
> you keep the hit-points or item list of my character stored in my
> client, then I can and may change it, with or without the source
> code.  "If you want it done right, do it yourself." comes to mind
> for when thinking about designing a system.  I don't mean to imply
> that any programmer will ever do anything right.  If you want
> something done securely, you should do it in a secure place.

A lot of that information is on the server (tucked away in some
database or secure object) and not on the client.  The basic problem
with current mud worlds -- all of them-- is that the character is
private to that mud.  This is a subject for another thread.  But
anyway, it fairly hard to edit your character when is really defined
outside your system.

rank