[MUD-Dev] Finding What a Gamer Lacks in Their Day

volstoff at brutele.be volstoff at brutele.be
Sat Jan 19 15:42:15 CET 2002

Wednesday, January 16, 2002, 3:48:03 PM, John Buehler wrote:

> This may be obvious to some others, but I wanted to present a very
> basic notion about gaming and entertainment in general:

>   Entertainment is chosen because it provides a stimulus that is
>   otherwise missing or lacking in the person's life.

I think this way of looking at gaming falls in the market point of
view, the offer and demand way. While a part of the thruth, there is
another way to look at it, more positive.

People also chose gaming because of its educational value, not as a
result of a wise reasoning, but because it is the way humans and
animals naturaly learn, by playing.

The vision of entertainment fulfilling a lack, like a medicine or
even an addictive product, is really supplier-consumer oriented and
I hope the interactive possibilities of the new technologies also
allow for something more constructive, more participative, more
entertaining...

Yves Kerstius.