[MUD-Dev] TECH: What about Perl flavored MUDs?

Luke Parrish luke at rocketship.com
Fri Jan 18 12:33:25 CET 2002

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:41:44 -0600
James Edward Gray, <James> wrote:

> Seems Java's future as a MUD language is secured by other threads.
> What do people think about Perl?  I'm still in the design phase of
> my grand MUD and I've been looking at many languages to father it
> in.  Perl appeals to me on many levels, foremost it's raw power of
> ultimate text manipulation.  It suites some of the feature I want
> better than anything else, and has always made for pleasant
> programming for me.

I echo your sentiments about perl. I also am in the design stage of
my grand MUD, and wished for a server written in a language I could
understand. One perl MUD server I found was boutell.com's
PerlMUD. It works, but it isn't as easily extensible, powerful, or
flexible as I would have liked. After trying to hack it for a while,
I looked at Joey Hess's PerlMOO. It's nice and flexible,
powerful-looking, etc. but it doesn't actually work very well. Then
I noticed the CVS tree for PerlMOO was all moved into the attic, so
I emailed Joey about it. He replied that he had a new project to
replace it called Mooix. I looked and beheld, an extremely
powerful-looking server concept. (The RAVE file has a quote by me :)
The way it works is it overlays a standard UNIX shell and makes a
MUD out of it. You can use shell scripts, c programs, and (you
guessed it) perl scripts to program objects. (Programming is
separate from building, so all a builder has to do is clone and
derive from a pre-programmed object.) The downside is, anyone with a
programmer account practically has a shell account as well. You also
have to have root access to install it. (I an still working on
upgrading my kernel so I can try it. You need at least Linux 2.4.)
The address is:

  http://cvs.mooix.net/

Luke