[MUD-Dev] Boys and Girls -

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Fri Jan 25 21:58:00 CET 2002

On Sun 13 Jan, rayzam wrote:

> Here's a question, in some ways for the women, but also for
> anyone:

>   Since boys are into winning, and girls are into playing, is
>   there a gender difference when it comes to permadeath?

>   Assuming the mythical Land of No Griefers, would permadeath bias
>   a game's players towards the female gender?

I would cautiously think not.  I have very little information to
base my conclusion on as I never played a game with permadeath that
was not also consensual.  However, the permadeath in itself would
not persuade or dissuade me from playing a particular game. Of
course that may well be an indication that indeed there is a gender
difference here. I tend to think that women in general are less
inclined to risk taking so the exact way the game is set up is
probably more important than the fact that it has permadeath or not.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey