[MUD-Dev] Simutronics' premium server

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Jan 28 19:57:49 CET 2002

Does anyone know whether Simutronics' premium server does well? Any
idea what kind of max # of players online they get? For those who
aren't familiar, Simutronics opened a premium server a few years ago
that cost a lot ($100/month or something) and was designed to appeal
to an older playerbase that was willing to pay a lot extra for a
world where there's some semblance of roleplay enforcement (at the
least, the $100/month cost will keep a lot of twinks out).

I'm asking because a couple of our long-time (and big spending)
players have requested something similar, though with a lower
monthly cost, with the understanding that our credit prices would
remain as-is (www.achaea.com/credits.html). It'd likely be a
roleplaying enforced world (which would go somewhat beyond the "RP
enforcement" done by some of the graphical MUDs on their RP
servers), perhaps with applications required to become a player. I'm
not sure it's financially feasible for us, but I'd like to look into
it. It would really take our high-cost boutique business model
concept to a further extreme, as has been discussed recently on this
list (in the discussion in which Michael Tresca was lambasting the
large projects as being unable to provide what at least some people
really want).

In any case, any information on Simutronic's premium server's
success or failure would be much appreciated.

--matt