[MUD-Dev] Enforced log out aka "real sleep"

Skaei at aol.com Skaei at aol.com
Thu Jan 31 20:44:17 CET 2002

In a message dated 1/30/2002 1:20:32 AM Central Standard Time,
brianhook at pyrogon.com writes:

>> Now, take this and stick it straight into an on-line game and you
>> have a problem.  Vampire characters aren't going to want to be
>> limited to the hours they can play.  So do you just give up on
>> the concept, come up with some hacky work around, or do you
>> pretend it really IS a World of Darkness and thus daylight never
>> comes into play?  Mandatory log out seems like a really bad idea
>> though, but in this particular case, it's what's necessary (hell,
>> I'm not sure how a mixed werewolf/vampire PnP session would
>> handle this).

I'd probably address this by giving the vamps the ability to go out
into the sunlight.. Just with serious character repercussions if
they do.  To compensate for the fact that I would be taking a lot of
outdoor fun away from them, I'd try to work up plenty of "indoor"
design to keep that population happy during their non-daylight
hours.  To help keep things balanced out (since that's why they are
being limited during daylight), I'd make sure that they didn't gain
as much from the indoor activity as they do from the outdoor
activity.  Goal would be to try and come up with indoor stuff that
at least keeps the player entertained and logged in during the
daylight hours so to speak.

For werewolves, being the hated things that they are, design for
that hatred. Pockets of society (size and location of pockets up to
you) that refuses to do any business with them, or worse yet.. hunts
them out to destroy them.

Anyway.. that's my quick two cents.

Chris