"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 22:18:31 CET 2002

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 1:25, Michelle Elbert wrote:
> From: "Travis Casey" <efindel at earthlink.net>

>> Now, I agree that roleplayers are not "more advanced" -- they're
>> just playing the game in a different way.  However, I don't see
>> how roleplaying, in and of itself, denies someone any interaction
>> with other people.

> Well, I think what he means is that when you're roleplaying,
> generally, you're "talking funny".  Non-roleplayer types can tell
> you speak, say, English... But you're not using it in a way they
> are familiar with.

Umm... some people "talk funny" in order to roleplay.  I don't,
though, and I don't think that "talking funny" has anything to do
with actually roleplaying.

Personally, I define roleplaying as "making decisions in the way
your character would make them, instead of using your character as a
mere playing piece."  That can be done without talking funny --
indeed, it can be done without ever speaking as your character.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>