BIZ amusing idea (Re: [MUD-Dev] Enforced log out aka "real sleep")

Nicholas E. Walker new at gnu.org
Thu Jan 31 22:21:20 CET 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 10:53:31AM -0500, Paul Schwanz wrote:

> Now, you can handle Vampires a couple of different ways.  You can
> simply start them out with only 12 hours of character time per
> day, or you can simply have them fatigue much more readily,
> requiring that they use twice as much character time for sleeping,
> leaving less for the other pursuits.

> I think I'd go for the second.  The interesting thing would be for
> a Vampire to have to budget his character time well.  (After all,
> once the 24 hours is used, he doesn't get more character time
> until the next day.)  If fighting is particularly fatiguing, then
> the Vampire must pick his battles carefully, lest he spend too
> much of his character time recovering and then remains vulnerable
> until the next day cycle.

Instead of charging players by the hour/month, one could charge
players for character-time.  Of course, this would create
interesting imbalances.  Like 240 hour days compared to my 2.4
hour days.

My reason for saying this semi-serious idea is that the idea of
character-time does have interesting relevance to billing.  If
one bills players monthly, it does not matter.  If the game is
pay-as-you-play, it might be interesting to pay based on what
the player does with their character, rather than connect time.
One could take bathroom breaks without paying for them, for
instance.

My one cent, or something :)

Nick

--