[MUD-Dev] Enforced log out aka "real sleep"

Alex Kay yak at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 31 23:25:02 CET 2002

From: "Brian Hook" <brianhook at pyrogon.com>

> Now, take this and stick it straight into an on-line game and you
> have a problem.  Vampire characters aren't going to want to be
> limited to the hours they can play.  So do you just give up on the
> concept, come up with some hacky work around, or do you pretend it
> really IS a World of Darkness and thus daylight never comes into
> play?  Mandatory log out seems like a really bad idea though, but
> in this particular case, it's what's necessary (hell, I'm not sure
> how a mixed werewolf/vampire PnP session would handle this).

Couldn't you consider this similar to ... I forget the name of the
zone (it's been a while), the one in EQ that was changed so that
high level undead spawned at night? This was a main thoroughfare and
you would often get people after the change sitting around at the
zone borders, doing something else, or logging to wait until sunrise
before crossing.

Not quite the same thing I know, but the impact on at least a
minority of players was not dissimilar for a small portion of their
play. Of course a large number of players, at least at first, was
pretty unhappy about this change as well. Personally I think it
added a bit of spice to the game, helping make it feel that little
bit more alive.

How about this, if Necro's in EQ where given this restriction right
now (I haven't played for ages, so I'm thinking back to when they
were l33t, if they're not anymore), would people stop playing them?
How much powering up would be needed to compensate? Would simply
faster levelling be sufficient? Lack of a death penalty perhaps?

I find myself thinking it might just work... but I'm assuming the
ability to play an alternate character is a given.

Alex