[MUD-Dev] The importance of graphics

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Thu Jul 4 01:02:34 CEST 2002

I was chatting with some friends last night, and we got onto the
subject of graphics in games.  One of them made the claim that
graphics will make or break a game, while another made a very
interesting point, that it's the *consistency* of the art direction
instead of just how pretty everything looks.

In a graphical MU* (MM or not), graphics can only be so dense, and
therefore have only a certain amount of inherent visual quality -
but under Moore's Law, that amount has been steadily improving with
the rest of computing.

So the question I want to ask is this, in three parts:

  How important is it to have graphics?

  What level of visual quality (slickness, flashiness) is acceptable
  versus bandwidth or rendering considerations (assume that the
  graphics card has no effect)?

  How is visual consistency important, how do you create it, and how
  do you maintain it throughout the life of a project (MMOGs being
  continuously expanded)?

--
Zach Collins (Siege)