[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what\'s next?

shren shren at io.com
Mon Jul 8 05:52:44 CEST 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Valerio Santinelli wrote:

>> Or have released a lightweight multiuser server and the tool for
>> world building.  The majority of the people involved with
>> emulator projects are not really interested in creating emulators
>> -- they just want to have their version of worlds.  I believe
>> that even the Unreal emulation project is more about porting to
>> Linux than just to have an emulator.  Unreal is very good about
>> having an open system as it is.

> You are right. No one was really interested in emulating UO per
> se. It's been done in order to be able to create our own worlds to
> play on. And it worked quite fine, I can say. There still are UO
> shards with hundreds of players online every day.

I don't remember most of the emulators as being able to handle that
many.  As far as I remember, none of them split the world into
zones, so they're limited to at most one machine.  Granted, most of
my experience is with PoL shards, which have a scripting layer
handling a lot of the processing.  Flexible, but not particularly
fast.

>> With hindsight, UO had the chance to be the PC equivalent for
>> virtual worlds. The other candidates could have been Quake or
>> Unreal, but both continue to focus on a more limited approach to
>> their worlds -- more niche marketing.

> UO had the chance, but they missed it completely. And now its
> technology is way too old to even consider building more on it. I
> wonder if Nevrax is going to have a big impact on this. They are
> already giving away their MMOG engine under the GPL licence. It is
> going to be a good starting point to build our own virtual worlds
> since it comes with all the features of a modern MMOG and has an
> extremely rich API.  It's surely not going to be used by casual
> world builders, but people with hacking skills are supposedly
> going to be happy about it ;)

I'm never suprised to see the people promoting the next big thing as
the replacement to the existing thing.  Sort of ironic considering
that this is a list devoted largely to text muds.  If UO could get
something like this out in less than 6 months, they could still get
in on the whole coming "user edited" worlds movement.  It would
certainly help sell an expansion, maybe it's very own expansion.
(How many UO users follow the whole expansion cycle, anyway?)

--
The client needs a tool built. He sends you a description of a nail...
</a>