[MUD-Dev] Crafting/Creation systems

Paul Boyle ppboyle at centurytel.net
Mon Jul 8 05:21:36 CEST 2002

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me if I step on any rules
of etiquette.

I'm interested in any articles or resources people could point me to
on the development of in-game creation systems for MUDs, MMORPGs,
and to a lesser extent, any computer game, like the Lego-based
games, or The Incredible Machine.

I'm also interested to hear peoples opinions on the most complex,
realistic, fun and/or effective crafting systems they've run into.

I know I should probably start with some examples of my own to get
the ball rolling.  So here goes.

  Simultronics - Dragonrealms - The most complex systems I've run
  across have been there.  The forging system in particular was
  almost as much complexity as I could have wished for.  However,
  the barriers to entry, the tedium, and the lack of balance really
  dissapointed.

  Everquest, and other items-by wrote combination - The easiest and
  most boring systems I've seen out there all use the everquest
  model.

  Simcity, and it's like - I think a MUD based crafting system could
  and should evolve from principles like those in SimCity, lots of
  relatively simple components (lots and lots and lots) connecting
  in myriad ways, rather than the current trend, which seems to be
  creation by predetermined recipe, or creation by jumping through
  several chokepoints.

    Note: I'm not asking about coding systems, I realize that asking
    which MUD type allows the most flexibility for a dev to create
    is a whole different ball of wax.

As to the reason for my request.  Part of it is personal interest, I
haven't run across a system that I was entirely impressed with.
Part of it is to get a feel for what kind of theory exists on
creating fun crafting systems.  Part of it is just cause I think
it'll be a fun discussion.  I hope I'm right about that at least!