[MUD-Dev] Crafting/Creation systems

Aaron Aaron
Tue Jul 9 10:32:00 CEST 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Paul Boyle wrote:

> I'm interested in any articles or resources people could point me
> to on the development of in-game creation systems for MUDs,
> MMORPGs, and to a lesser extent, any computer game, like the
> Lego-based games, or The Incredible Machine.

Well, this most likely won't fit into your ideal, but one "crafting"
system that I liked was from Record of Lodoss War on the Sega
Dreamcast, and I was considering incorporating something like that
into a MUD that I am developing.

It basically involves searching for runes scattered throughout, and
then those magic runes can be inscribed on your sword/armor to give
it appropriate magic powers.  The smith can make those permanent for
a certain price, or he can remove ones which are only temporarily
set.  Certain weapons could only hold a certain number of runes, and
runes always took up a given amount of space.

This works good for me for a few reasons:

  1.  The chance to search out runes in the land provides for a
  chance to explore out of the way places.

  2.  Having to learn those words provides for the lack of an item
  that a player could pass to another.

  3.  It provides a reason to use gold.  I ran into a problem where
  basically gold had no value on the mud.  Spending it at the smith
  for inscription charges works out okay.

  4.  If you got creative, you could make your own modification to
  mix and match powers and effects.  For example, one rune could
  allow a spell effect on oneself, another one could provide a spell
  effect for an area.  So one could tie a heal to one of these, so
  using the power would either heal yourself or heal a small area of
  players/mobs.  On the other hand, you could also tie fire effects
  to the same self/other effects, and one could set oneself on fire.
  People are into self-destruction these days.

  5.  It provides for another attribute to determine a weapon's
  value to a player.  Some players may be after more rune space,
  others may not care.  A relatively weak sword with lots of space
  for runes may make it look good to a player who can afford to use
  up those spaces.

But that's just my 2 cents.  It may not work out in the end, but it
sure sounded like a good idea to me at the time.