[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what's next?

lynx at lynx.purrsia.com lynx at lynx.purrsia.com
Tue Jul 9 15:39:46 CEST 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Damion Schubert wrote:
> From: lynx at lynx.purrsia.com

>> ...  They want to play *their* characters being tiny little gods
>> in the adventure. ...

> You make it sound so _dirty_ that people want to create, advance
> and have control over their virtual alter ego. =)

Well, *that* part isn't so bad but they're not very good about
*sharing* a world with other people, is the thing. ;) Gods are
jealous creatures after all.  It seems like an apt comparison.

> As it is, it seems to me that the BioWare guys came up with the
> two best scenarios anyway.  Either play on a character that plays
> on that server only, or a DM has an option to simply not allow a
> character in the front door.

Agreed.

I've been thinking about implementing a NWN scenario and one issue
I've been considering is, well...  I've seen how powerful characters
can get at higher levels and that doesn't suit the feel of the
scenario I want to implement.  Yet I enjoy playing 'my' character in
various situations, and experiencing various stories, and by playing
through the official campaign, I've established that my character
'works well' with a set of equipment and hotkeys.

Those two things conflict with each other in making a scenario open
to random people.  People are reluctant to give up the power that
they've 'earned' by playing elsewhere, but if they don't, the
scenario will be too easy.

Best idea I can come up with is to have people start at level 1 but
give them the necessary levels and ability to buy a selected set of
'useful but not too useful' equipment quickly, through NPC giveaways
and merchants.

-- Conrad