[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what's next?

shren shren at io.com
Thu Jul 11 07:00:24 CEST 2002

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 lynx at lynx.purrsia.com wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Damion Schubert wrote:

> Best idea I can come up with is to have people start at level 1
> but give them the necessary levels and ability to buy a selected
> set of 'useful but not too useful' equipment quickly, through NPC
> giveaways and merchants.

... you never do know how much equipment the last module the PC went
through gives out, do you?  This is the option that I took - my
module bumps people up to second on entry (first level characters
just *break* too easy), and come to think of it, I could make the
same script pass out some kind of "useful" item to the player.

I wanted to start them at first, but it smelled too much like I'd
have to handle first level like Bioware did - you kill a series of 1
hp/1 damage goblins untill you reach second, then upon completing
the prelude, you get jumped to third.  Life's too short, so I find
it easier to be standing on a trigger area with an xp-boosting
OnExit event when you start the adventure.

This does show the dangers of raw tabletop system adaption.  While I
often find tabletop mechanics to be superior to MUD systems, that
doesn't mean that the tabletop mechanic is going to make a perfect
MUD system.

--
The client needs a tool built. He sends you a description of a nail...
</a>