[MUD-Dev] Crafting/Creation systems

Paul Boyle ppboyle at centurytel.net
Sat Jul 13 10:54:14 CEST 2002

From: "Peter Tyson" <PeterT at codemasters.com>

> With our system players will use machines to make their goods,
> machines they can leave or even log off and let work. They buy
> resources for a set price and then try and sell (or store) the
> finished products at another price. All purchasing is done through
> a central market unique to each town.

> We figure the main fun in crafting is advancing to new recipes,
> becoming known for your goods and making piles of cash! With DE we
> allow everyone to craft a few basic items and to move in time to
> advanced items. However, we don't think it's fun to sit for hours
> clicking the same box, so the boring production elements are cut
> back.

Sounds like the Star Wars Galaxies System.  I'll definitely pay
attention to how systems like that work out.

I think everyone agrees that endless clicking is definitely out of
style.  And from everything I've seen, most game designers believe
the fun of crafting systems is not in the crafting itself, but in
the achievement play you gain from being a crafter.

Personally, I think something that gets overlooked is the explorer
style play that can come from crafting.  The thrill of discovering
or creating something new noone else has managed to.  That's why I'm
looking for alternatives to reciepe-style systems, where all the
possible results have been mapped out in extremis by the system
designer.

I realize that leaves the possiblity of unbalance items coming out
of the system.  I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on this as well,
if anyone's looked at balancing crafted items not by knowing the
possibilities at the beginning, but by coupling an evaluator at the
back end of the system to see if the product is allowable.