[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Mon Jul 15 17:37:13 CEST 2002

From: John Buehler

> The only people who are going to want to help out in the assault
> on the Death Star are the ones who believe that they are going to
> get some remarkable experience commensurate with their risk.  The
> inability to ensure that everyone gets something worthwhile out of
> the overall encounter is the real difficulty.  If I'm flying my
> X-Wing fighter and get blown out of the sky in the first 10
> seconds of the fight, am I going to be happy about having simply
> been part of the casualties?  Especially if I've lost one of my
> lives - which might be expensive?

Judging from the keep takeovers in Lineage, yes you are.

One of my new maxims.  Shared loss is less painful than personal
loss.  I've seen people complain for weeks about dying to a spider
throw themselves into a guild fray and die repeatedly in Meridian 59
and Lineage and never bat an eye, never complain about it.

Why?  My theory is that falling in battle (a) Has honor ("You
sucked, but you fought the good fight.  We're proud of you"), (b)
Has less personal goals ("Through tragic loss of levels and
equipment, we won the fort!  We rock!") and (c) has people around to
pick you up and make you feel better ("Shame you died.  Here, here's
some of the loot we won.  Come on, let's go do it again.")

--d