[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Mon Jul 15 17:26:56 CEST 2002

From: Marc LaFleur

> It seems like this is the path taken by most of MMOGS, force
> people to "group" by making content either available to groups
> only or by making the game less fun without a group.

I think that there are likely ways to make the online game
experience fun without requiring grouping, or without making
grouping as difficult and time-consuming as it is now.  Guild- level
politics, for example, is an example of a system that can have a
varied experience for different player types, and that takes
advantage of the unique features of the MMP genre.

> The problem with this is that it automatically removes casual
> players from your game. And isn't it these mainstream players that
> the industry so covets?

I don't think that grouping is one of the top problems that keeps
gamers from playing online games.  A lot of people are interested in
MMPs, and are interested in it because of the aspect of playing with
other people.  I think that they come in expecting group play, and
get turned off for other reasons (spotty launches, tedious
advancement, boring combat, jerks, poor interfaces, uninspired
visuals, etc).  While there's definitely a class of people for whom
having to group is always going to be a turn-off, forced grouping
doesn't even make my top ten as far as reasons why we can't get the
casual gamer.

--d