[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Marc LaFleur marc at genesisfour.com
Tue Jul 16 20:59:35 CEST 2002

From: Raph Koster

> But are casual players who do not group (eg, who form no social
> ties) going to stick anyway?

I'm not sure the current definition of "group" has all that much to
do with "social ties". In most games, it simple means we all go into
a situation together and share the rewards.

Personally I don't like to group. As a husband, father, and
professional I don't have nearly the same amount of time that a
single college student has on their hands. The typical form of
"grouping" requires that I first dedicate enough time to finding a
group (at least 30 minutes, often longer) and second that I can stay
with that group for a while (2-3 hours). I'm lucky if I get an hour
to play without interruption. I want to log in and escape reality
for a few minutes, not camp the "Item X Spawn" for three days.

Given, my personal experience doesn't necessarily reflect that of
the typical MMOG player. But it does illustrate the experience of
most non-MMOG players. Most gamers that I know wont play MMOGS for
the reasons I stated. Rather, they invest in WarCraft,
Counter-Strike, etc.  that allow them to play for a short time with
little preparation and no requirement on time. The only exception
has been UO, a game that didn't include the "group" concept for
years.

I don't play to crush, I play to bake bread. So why should I group?
Groups are not where I build my social ties. Vending my crafts to
the community builds them. I find those I enjoy playing with and
form a guild...

I'm not saying groups are bad, but by saying "group or pound sand"
you wont get very far with me. If all you are doing is offering
grouping as an option, to further the entertainment of an
appropriate player type, then I'm all for it. Just make sure that
you remember there is more to the MMOG experience than grouping up
to slay a villain.

If all I wanted to do was kill things, I'd toss in Counter-Strike
and rox u. :)

Marc LaFleur