[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

John Robert Arras johna at wam.umd.edu
Tue Jul 16 20:45:51 CEST 2002

On Sat Jul 13, "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com> wrote:

> Given such simulation, the gamemasters can nudge a mayor to decide
> to admit storm troopers to protect his town's shipments, causing a
> complete rebalancing of activity in town because of the appearance
> of storm troopers.

Agreed. I don't see GMs being completely out of the loop for a long
time. I expect that GMs will make changes to some high-level aspect
of the simulation, then let the game work out the details. I expect
to abstract making occasional quests into tweaking the simulation at
a high level.

> Courtesy of simulation, the gamemasters may be able to run the
> simulation at advanced speed to see what will actually happen,
> based solely on NPC behavior models.

This is my favorite part. :) Starting the server at night then
waking up to see that the game is 30 days into the simulation...

> I'm working on my own ideas in artificial intelligence in order to
> address this very model and it's quite difficult.  It will require
> a ton of processing power and it'll also require some serious
> tools to 'design' people.

I'm still not at the level of deep individual AI. My guess is that
it isn't possible to have good AI for all creatures at all times, so
it will be necessary to store personalities offline and then
interact with an external AI/NLP module when individuals need to
interact with players. I've been reading about "narrative
intelligence" and "emergent narrative" to learn about how to
construct the individuals in the context of a world, but it's still
a long way off.

John