[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Ron Gabbard rgabbard at swbell.net
Wed Jul 17 08:20:22 CEST 2002

From: <lynx at lynx.purrsia.com>
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Sasha Hart wrote:
>> [Marian Griffith]

> Could be an interesting revenue model. :) You budget exactly how
> much you want to give out, then you give that out in an incremental
> fashion over the course of the game month.  On the other hand, I
> would worry that this might run into laws concerning 'on-line
> gambling'.

Personally, I would keep a hard line dividing in-game occurrences
and the flow of real-world money... particularly credits going back
to the customer.  What happens when a new bug pops up that affects
the outcome?  Or, a server goes down for some reason.  All players
involved will demand some kind of refund because they've now been
trained that money flows both ways.  The funny thing is that the
amount of the credit would probably work out to about $0.02 to each
player... but that would't lessen the ranting.

IMHO, so many bad things can happen when that wall between in-game
activity and company pocketbook is breached that the benefit of
$3.33/X players in reward just isn't worth the risk.

Cheers,

Ron